Wednesday, August 10, 2005

history

Nineteen ninety-seven. I was a senior in high school. Back in those days I had something to look forward to. Back in those days I patiently sat through Physics or Chemistry class waiting for the final bell to ring at 4:30 p.m. Back in those days basketball practice got me through the week. Even roadwork on Tuesdays and Thursdays didn’t stop me from wanting class to be over.

Two thousand and one. I was a senior in college majoring in a course I found very stimulating but always found way over my head. In those days few small things got me through embarrassing 101 recitations or 196 seminars. I was still looking forward to the end of the day. I was looking forward to daily afternoon visits to the bookstore. I was looking forward to books to be read, thoughts to write down, candy to eat, coke to drink and a nicotine fix.

Two thousand and five. Present day gloom. What do I look forward to? Weekend love, internet afternoons, photos to take and movies to watch. Is that all? Coffee to drink, books to read, thoughts to write, mail that never comes. How sad life can sometimes be.


How do you do it? What gets you through the day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home