Wednesday, January 11, 2006

this and that

On the Alumni Homecoming Celebrations:
Tomorrow, together with the celebration for the year’s alumni homecoming, special awards will be given for students earning the highest grades for each subject. It is with a feeling akin to regret that I acknowledge the fact that I am not one of the students receiving an award. Previously (as in a loooooong time ago), I have been included in the top 10 ranking students of my batch. Recent turn of events have seen me slip down the rankings unable to find a subject where I can inarguably be the best.

I remember once talking with a classmate reflecting on his class standing. He said that however good one is there is always seems to be someone way better. No matter what you do, there is someone who is always a step ahead of you. While this may sound discouraging, the reverse does make you feel a little better: that no matter how dumb one student is, there is always someone dumber.

My recent drop in class standing should drive me to work harder to excel. Unfortunately, I am the type of student who, for the most part of my schooling, is not very particular about grades. As long as I am satisfied with my progress, I am content to remain as just an above average student who studies enough and is unwilling to deprive herself of a life.

When I come to a realization that given my capabilities I cannot exceed what others have done I tend to be complacent and work only to get an acceptable grade. I understand, that the desirable reaction would be to strive to be better but I guess I just don’t see the point.


On last December’s preliminary exams:
I have done well (by my standards) for Obstetrics, Rehab Med, Clinical Therapeutics and Psychiatry. While still getting a good grade in Head and Neck Surgery, I am a bit disappointed it isn’t any higher. As for Gynecology, it is best to forget my grade and just study harder for the next exam :)

I have yet to receive results from other subjects but I do hope they are a little better. It would be really nice to get a good grade in Internal Medicine, especially in Cardiology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home