Friday, November 18, 2005

lemon-sweeting

It is Friday once again. I am stuck inside my apartment, bored and hungry. The occupants of the first apartment downstairs are hanging out with friends. My ears are filled with their laughter and my nose wrinkle reflexively as the smell of cigarette smoke waft up to my second floor window. I refuse to call myself a loser for staying in on a Friday night. Besides, I already had my Friday night on a Thursday. I went out with friends last night, arrived late and went straight to bed too tired to do anything else but sleep. In any case Saturday has always been my lakwatsa day. I have a whole day to relax and gallivant around.

This is me sour-graping.

Sour-graping. Lemon-sweeting. Things people do on a daily basis. Behavior, I learned today, that patients often use as a defense mechanism to be able to cope with impairment or disability. Not that I never thought that patients utilize such behavior. It was just nice to hear a physiatrist confirm what seems to be a common enough reaction to a patient's current health status. And that, I'm afraid, is the only thing that comes to mind as I try to remember today's lessons.


My mind is blank. There seems to be nothing more to write.

For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home