Wednesday, March 01, 2006

can you take a hint?

Happy MARCH!!!

We just had the final presentation in defense of our project for Community and Family Medicine. With all the time spent and effort expended the three panelists who reviewed our project still saw many areas for improvement. If I chose to dwell on the undesirable comments I would be immensely disappointed. So I have now decided to focus on the fact that we were complimented by two of the panelists regarding the Situational Analysis/Research and Methodology done for the project. We were even encouraged to write a formal research based on the situational analysis we did. I take that as a pat on our collective backs.

Once again, this leads me to question my chosen profession. It has become increasingly evident that I have an aptitude for research. I am not implying that my research skills or capabilities are better then the next medical student. I am, however, concluding that the skills inherent to me make it easier for me to do research. This is in comparison to the application of my skills to do other things such as managing a program/project, clinical practice or even teaching. I will never be the most effective speaker, most efficient manager or a highly skilled clinician. I, however, am confident that I can be a fairly competent researcher.

All this reminds me of my Dad’s most recent email. From the start he had no misgivings about my desire to enter medical school. He has never even implied or hinted at a different profession that he preferred. On my part I have never mentioned that I was also considering doing medical/health-related research. As I overcome another hurdle in med school and approach clerkship I am inclined to think that in his email he was actually starting to hint at his preference.

"The hospital duty will be interesting. It is the time to find out in reality whether being a doctor and doing good and healing people (with both the nasty and the good things that comes along with dealing with sick people) is your calling, or whether medical research is your preference. "

To his credit, my Dad has always been very diplomatic about everything. In this particular email he has made the effort to append the following remark:

"Enjoy whichever direction you want to pursue."

This cannot always be said about parents and other family members.


These are just my thoughts for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home